Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Some basics I follow

I spent two years cooking on a microwave, so I have a very process oriented approach to cooking- I also find that when one standardises any activity in the framework of a process, it leads to neatness, efficiency and consistency.
To me basically, any dish consists of 3 components:
a) the dry, whole spices ( if any)-these are roasted absolutely at the beginning
b) the main ingredient-ie the vegetable, meat fish etc
c) the powdered or wet spices and pastes, and turmeric and salt

However, once I started cooking on a stove, I found it a much more creative and instinctive as well as continuous process, so I really don't think I will be putting all my recipes in this framework. For a beginner however, it was a good way of sorting things out in one's head.

Heat: High or Low?
I ALWAYS use low heat for cooking, except when I need to fry something/ boil water:

This increases the cooking time, but REDUCES the time YOU need to spend in the kitchen!something which is simmered over a long time on a low flame, is not very likely to burn and stick ( Tola lege jaaoa), that too on a non stick, hence can be left to look after itself, while you just put it on and then go do your own thing, but earn the kudos at the end :P
A HIGH flame on the other hand, will require your continuous presence and continued stirring to ensure that food does not get charred
also according to Ma, food is better cooked through and through if slow done over a low flame.. apparently high heat sometimes leaves the inside of the food uncooked

Cookware:
SPEND if you can afford it and buy some high quality non-stick cookware. SPECIALLY if you dislike cooking. In fact the more you dislike cooking, the more you need to spend on your cookware;
This is because good quality, specially non-stick cookware will actually aid the cooking process, and will ALLOW YOU TO SPEND A GOOD PART OF THE TIME OUTSIDE THE KITCHEN! there is not that much need to continuously stir, once the ingredients are well coated with spices. because there is very little chance that the food will stick to the utensil.

Use graters mixies etc, whenever you feel like. Please DO NOT use ready to eats. Order in instead!


No comments:

Post a Comment