Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Pune trip from the culinary angle

I went to Pune two weeks ago for a very close friend's engagement. A co-explorer of cities, of seedy eateries, a fellow movie addict and a partner in crime, a loyal supporter. True to form, I had a nostalgic food fest (Marathi snacks are just so the ticket) and carried back a lot of khau. Two years of integration/assimilation into the Marathi community in JNU meant of course Bakarwadi, Masala Kachodi, Bharang(my friend Akshay used to get the best ever) , Chivde , Shrewsbury biscuits, Kayani's Cake, lovely vinegary-fiery green chillie pickle, shop-bought bright red Warhadi Thecha (I think it was Kelkar's), my friend M's mom's home made green chilly thecha with peanut chunks in it(I used to think she was a magician), Lasun Chutney, my favourite Shengdano Ki Chutney( I love peanuts). I ABSOLUTELY fell in love with Amba Lonche - I think Marathis have got the secret of how to make the most PERRRFECT mango pickle ever. Just the right levels of sour-salty-ness. It's not much publicised but I think it  is WAY better than the ubiquitous Punjoo or Tam / general Southie pickles you get on the market.

In fact their green chillie pickle is pretty damn good as well. I like the taste of whatever little daily Marathi home style cooking I have tasted as well- it's very simple but very different- the dominant tastes are peanuts, mild amounts of coconut and this secret masala called Goda Masala.

Leaving Delhi obviously felt terrible, the people and the camaraderie and the historicity and the lovely long foggy winters. Contributing in no small measure to this was the general Thecha- Lonche deprivation and the nostalgia for Bakarwadi - Chivda.There are certain foods which, as much as or more than the taste, also carry some very emotional associations. Usually one's native cuisine does this to one, for me a lot of  Marathi food and the sound of the language brings back memories of long nights maroing adda in and out of Lohith and Chandrabhaga, Mahanadi,complaining about boredom, mess food, lovely night walks,the thrill bike rides(my first ever encounter with bikes), learning a new language, going to watch a play in Marathi, which M tried to whisper interpret, and then admitted she didn't understand much either because it was a dialect instead of hoch Marathi, singing Dada Kondke songs. I kind of relived this this July for a bit with U and was happy that he listened with so much patience:) as well as accompany me to Chandni Chowk.

So to get to the food. Started off with lunch at Maithilee's house,really yummy cauliflower Sabji cooked by the lady who looks after her nephew. Was eating cauliflowers after ages given the general standard of cauliflowers here which try their best to convert you into an insectivore.As mentioned, the marathis use this secret Garam masala called Goda Masala, which make the simplest of recipes taste DIVINE. Together with this there was Methi Theplas and some Dal Rice(simple Dal, which I think they call Varan Bhath). In the evening M (whom I call Dory) started off on the usual food pilgrimage. Luckily didn't have to go too far as there is a competent Chitde's, a nice Konkani store and a super Halwai within walking distance from her place. We picked up Aloo Shev, Aloo Papad (which we finished in Pune), Shrewsbury Biscuits, a kilo of Bakarwadi, a kilo of Masale Kachodi, a bottle of Mapro's strawberry crush, Goda Masala(forget the brand), and a packet of Kepra's mango pickle. Also some Shengdana Chutney (peanut chutney) and Lasun Ki chutney(again forget the brand). We finished this expedition with some really nice Pura/ Puria? Chi Vadi and this thing called Matar Karonji (which was like a samosa patty but with a pea's stuffing) at Chacha Halwai's. The latter was so good I finished off the last one in the shop.
At dinner that night, M's mother yet again reminded me that she is  magician. Bharli Vangi -brinjals stuffed with peanuts and Usal, a sprouts dish.  The awesome thing about Marathi Ghar Ka Khana is that it is so simple yet so tasty. And of course it's the nicest thing ever when somebody so lovingly cooks for you.There was some very nice Upma the next morning for breakfast which we ate on the drive from Bombay to Pune(and such a lovely drive it is, rolling green hills and mist), Maharashtra does seem to have a lot of things which make it seem like an interesting place to explore/settle in. Beaches, sea, lush green hills, ruined forts, history, food. Nice people speaking a comprehensible language. What I don't like are the rains. I am a sissy who doesn't like getting messy. We stopped at Lonavla which is pretty, if only the rain hadn't killed it.
I won't talk about the engagement food much here, because that was nice, but standard north Indian party food type food... but move on after that. ...In Bombay, my friend P joined us together with a junior of ours, another Madhura. We went to Madhura's house afterwards, and then I wanted to go to P's house and say hello to her parents, whom I haven't met for ages. P lives in Borivali and I liked the ride ,from Thane to Borivali, it seemed like more of the Mumbai Pune highway landscape. And while people have raised eyebrows at my going to Bombay and not wandering around town, I'm glad I went, because her mom was so happy to see me and gave me a BIG hug, and who the hell wants to wander around dirt and mud while getting drenched. Had a nice chat, planned a future trip, next month, and then got fed royally by P's mother. Aloo Matar, which had a nice coconutty-peanutty feel, and paneer(aloo matar was a real winner)- and apart from the warmth it just feels so good to have tasty home cooked food without having to cook it yourself. Auntie also ground me fresh peanut chutney to carry back home and I was OVER the MOON. I left a box of chocolate fudge from Lonavla with them.

When I visit them I will carry some Ooty chocolates and Mysore Pak. I came back with super heavy bag full of food, and a smile and much love :)

and I had a fitting Samadhi for the remaining Khau last Sunday. Invited a bunch of people (about 6) over for evening snacks and put out the spread below. I had greedily polished off the Aloo Shev, and there weren't enough Shrewsbury biscuits to go around, and I ain't sharing homemade peanut chutney, till I get my grinder, but the rest was all there.
On the table there is Strawberry Crush,Chitde Chya Bakarwadi and Masala Kachodi,some Lakshmi Narayan Chivde which I got here from Total Mall,to supplement the theme, chikki and chocolate fudge from Lonavla, Varng (puffed rice mixture) and some Bong chanachur (Mukhorochak) which my mom had sent me with my meds and which luckily arrived that very afternoon. The Pongal-Sambar was my friend Pramila's tiffin, and I kind of regret not tasting it now. My friend Rekha who pampers us like crazy supplied the samosa and the jalebi from Bhikharam's, and the two bottles of wine which she had received as a birthday present. I had planned to make some Anda Bhurji or Sabudana Khichdi but didn't feel up to it, which was a good thing as there was lots of this stuff left over which was ultimately sent home with D( whom we call the son of Rajanikanth :P). I think everybody had a nice time cos they stayed till 10:30. Teas seem to be a good idea and maybe we will do more such.


2 comments:

  1. as i was reading this i thought i didnt see any Shrewsbury biscuits. The bhakhar wadi from Pune is just outstanding.

    I always keep a supply of Ghoda masala. Lately i ve added it to my store of masalas.

    Very very recently i sampled Maharashtrian food and ve become a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had polished off the biscuits WAYYY before Sunday :P. In any case there wouldn't have been enough to go around

    ReplyDelete