Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Stir fried mushrooms with cheese

I made some stir fried mushrooms recently which turned out pretty well. I used a recipe I got from a booklet which came with BBC Good Food India, compiled by Himalaya who are advertising their mushrooms, of course modifying it to suit myself.The original recipe also contained tomatoes and capsicums which I skipped, wanting to enjoy the full, unadulterated flavour of mushroom

I used:

2 packets of normal mushrooms
2 Onions
Several cloves of garlic
Chives
Black pepper powder
Cheddar cheese


Slice the mushrooms sometime before and lay them aside. Then chop the onions fine and start sauteeing them. While the onions are softening, grate the garlic cloves. By the time they are done, the onions will be pinky-brown. Now is the time to toss in the garlic. Let it fry and release it's flavour. I also tossed in some dried chives I possessed. Once these are nicely roasted, I put the mushrooms in, and stirred a whole lot. Then I covered the wok and let it cook by itself.  Mushrooms release a LOT of water, and are best cooked in their own juice covered on low heat. They remain nice, rich and meaty. I finished off with some black pepper powder and sprinkled grated cheddar cheese on top before taking it off the flame. The end result was extremely satisfying. The mushrooms were nice and rich, having been stewed in their own juice :P, and were tender without being soft.Black pepper added a kick. Tasted really awesome on bread , as a topping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment